Psyc Edit - Being Productive

Wednesday, 23 July 2014


The psychology of routine is something that interests me – morning routines, bedtime routines, daily/weekly routines. Some people have rigid routines and are extremely productive. Generally, I’ve never really been one of those types of people – although I found the past year I’ve not had much choice as I tried to juggle a million things at once. Having a structured routine is really important with such a busy schedule and never ending ‘to-do’ lists. I find myself writing these lists a lot (usually every night before bed). I’m constantly trying to come up with ways to make my life easier and more productive and I’ve found that a couple of lifestyle changes can be really beneficial.

An Early Rise - I find that being productive in the early hours of the morning sets you up for the rest of the day. I usually set my alarm a little earlier that I intend to get up so I can have time to lye in bed knowing I don't need to get up for a whole 15minutes. Is it just me who does this? So I usually set my alarm for 7.15 and get up between 7.30 & 9am depending on if I have to go to work that morning or not. On uni days, being at the library for 9am was a huge advantage, especially when I knew I had about 12 hours of work to get through that day. More recently, I find getting up early allows me to read more, go for an early jog, write, enjoy my breakfast/get ready without rushing and generally gets things that need doing out the way, freeing up time for the rest of the day.

Morning/Bedtime Routine - Having these types of routines and sticking to them is a huge advantage when trying to be productive with your day. Getting into a routine of doing certain things means that the more you practice a routine, the more likely you'll end up doing it. I always have a shower at night before bed and this helps me wind down after a long day. Strangely, when I done insanity I got into a routine of doing a workout then having a shower before bed. Most people find exercising before bed prevents them from getting a good sleep but I found I had more energy at night. 

Lists! - I swear by this method when it comes to being productive. I now seem to have dozens of little notepads full of lists and schedules, it can be quite funny looking back on them. I try to be organised as I'm always forgetting things so it helps to write down everything I need to get done for each day. This as extremely useful when I was at uni and had deadlines for my dissertation every single week. I knew if I didn't stick to my plan then I'd be late in handing in work.

Conscious Healthy Eating - This one might seem a little random, but it does help in being productive. As much as I love fast food I always feel so sluggish and tired after eating it. So making a conscious decision to go for a salad for lunch instead of a subway (BLT with southwest AND mayo) does make me feel more energized. I've been trying to make little changes here and there, for example last night before my yoga class I had a light tea instead of something heavy which my mum had made. I find eating small light meals throughout the day keeps my energy levels up. 

What kind of lifestyle choices do you make to stay energized and productive?

14 comments:

  1. Hello, I have nominated you for the Liebster award because your blog is great! you can find out more information here http://amytalks96.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/nominated-for-liebster-award.html
    I hope you take part as it is a lot of fun! If you do link me your post so i can check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hii, thankyou so much that means a lot!

      x x

      Delete
  2. Hey, I've tagged you in the Leibster Award post which is a little harmless fun. If you want to join in, here's the link: http://linearchic.blogspot.com/2014/07/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoy waking up early, it sets your day in the right tone! You include lots of great information in this post! I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster Award!
    http://simplyeasierliving.blogspot.com
    I would really enjoy if you also did it!
    Thanks
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyy, thankyou so much! I really appreciate being nominated! I'll be sure to check out your blog x x

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I workout and I try to eat healthy, and get enough sleep! But I can never go early to bed, haha.Would you like to check out my blog and follow me on bloglovin & gfc(I follow back instantly)?

    xx,
    http://trendythursday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hii, sure I'll follow you back:)! I try to get enough sleep too but I do struggle getting out of bed in the mornings!

      x x

      Delete
  5. love this! i'm a bit list maker too

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. my giveaway to win a cute Dahlia coat ends soon! click here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyy x glad to know someone enjoyed reading it:)! I'll be sure to check out your blog! x x

      Delete
  6. Hey,

    I love your lifestyle posts and photography. I am new to blogging and have nominated you for the liebster award :) Please check out my blog post: http://asseenonsophie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/about-me.html

    As Seen On Sophie

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thankyou! I'm new too:) I'll be sure to check out your blog x x

      Delete
  7. I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Learn more here: http://summertimesiren.blogspot.com/2014/07/liebster-award-get-to-know-me.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much:) x I'll take a look x x

    ReplyDelete